Zantac Lawsuit


Researching drug company and regulatory malfeasance for over 16 years
Humanist, humorist

Friday, April 17, 2009

Off Label Prescription Drugs - Unlicensed to Kill

It's that time of year when reality dawns. I sit here playing AC/DC, they played their first night in the UK last night and hit my hometown next week. My son and I will be attending, it will be our last time out together as he is heading off soon for a journey that will be 'eye opening' to say the least. Intensive training for 28 weeks then a future of tours with the British Army.

I'd love to give him the send off he deserves... I shall leave that to AC/DC. Anyway, I digress.

I wish to have a rant about off label prescriptions, more importantly, why I think this practice is unethical, dangerous and criminal.

For those that don't know, a doctor can prescribe drugs to patients that the MHRA have otherwise told him/her not to. This is called 'Off Label Prescribing' and leaves both the MHRA and pharmaceutical companies in the clear should the patient have adverse reactions to the drug... or worse still, die from taking it.

It's a powerful tool for both pharma and the MHRA because it lays no blame on them and they can use it as an excuse when questioned about the safety and efficacy of any given drug.

A classic example is witnessed in this video here. Chairman of the MHRA, Alasdair Breckenridge, clearly puts the onus on doctors regarding prescriptions being written for Seroxat and taken by children [0.56 Secs]

Breckenridge: "Remember Seroxat has never been licenced in children, it has never been licenced in children at all. But nevertheless, practitioners have, on their own behest, have used it extensively... our best evidence is that some 7,000 children a year were.. um children and adolescents... were receiving Seroxat."

I use Seroxat and Breckenridge as an example here because it is what I write about and because I have no video evidence of any MHRA member talking about any other SSRi.

Read more

Read the new book, The Evidence, However, Is Clear...The Seroxat Scandal

ORDER THE PAPERBACK
'THE EVIDENCE, HOWEVER, IS CLEAR...THE SEROXAT SCANDAL' By Bob Fiddaman
SIGNED COPIES HERE OR UNSIGNED FROM CHIPMUNKA PUBLISHING

7 comments:


Please contact me if you would like a guest post considered for publication on my blog.