Zantac Lawsuit


Researching drug company and regulatory malfeasance for over 16 years
Humanist, humorist

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

HIGH CHOLESTEROL... YIKES!


Image: jagonews.com

So last week I had blood samples taken, my gout had got to the stage of 'acute' and my doctor wanted to test my cholesterol levels.

My appointment yesterday was to 'discuss' my results.

Turns out my cholesterol level is very high - 7.9 to be exact.

So, there has to be a few life changes around here. I'm 46 and want to live as long as possible so I guess yesterday's discussion was my warning sign.

I've been prescribed Simvastatin [40mg per day] - I'll research it before I dispense the prescription so feedback on this post would be appreciated folks.

I realise that I have to either cut down or stop my smoking all together - I have a nicotine addiction - well, according to the NHS 'Addiction' test I do.

The addiction test can be taken here

I wasn't surprised by the results but was shocked by the 'therapy' they offer.

"You have a high addiction to nicotine but don't worry if you use a stop smoking medicine such as Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT), Zyban or Champix it will make it much easier for you to quit."

Zyban or Champix?

Yeh, right. Zyban is basically an SSRi disguised as a helpful aid to quit smoking whilst Champix is another drug that can cause havoc with your rational thinking. I have, in the past, wrote about both - here - and here.

I don't think I'll be taking the advice of the NHS in this particular instance.

I guess I will start to taper first - as is the norm with any addiction - cut down and instead of allowing myself to smoke in my apartment, I will force myself outdoors. I got that tip from my girl friend.

I briefly looked at Tesco online this morning - it would appear it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to eat healthily, although if I can quit smoking, the money I save will go toward living healthier.

It's going to be a bind but hey, I kicked Seroxat so smoking should be a piece of cake.

Lots of walks with my dog ahead it seems and in general just be careful I don't eat, a; foods high in cholesteral and b; foods that can set off another acute gout attack.

Thing is, I rarely eat junk food, I drink alcohol once a fortnight and I already walk 4 times daily. It would appear it's not enough.

Oh, the joys of living a healthy life!

Recipes would be appreciated folks - remember I'm on a tight budget here so nothing too expensive please!

Fid

ORDER THE PAPERBACK
'THE EVIDENCE, HOWEVER, IS CLEAR...THE SEROXAT SCANDAL' By Bob Fiddaman
SIGNED COPIES HERE OR UNSIGNED FROM CHIPMUNKA PUBLISHING

6 comments:


Please contact me if you would like a guest post considered for publication on my blog.