Zantac Lawsuit


Researching drug company and regulatory malfeasance for over 16 years
Humanist, humorist

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

13 - Who Would Have 'Thunk' It?





This week the Fiddaman Blog turned thirteen. It is now officially a teen which, ironically, is often the subject of this blog.

Inception

I vividly remember it's birth. It was a simple cut and paste job regarding Richard Brook who resigned from the Government's watchdog on antidepressants after it tried to cover up its own ten-year failure to identify serious side-effects of the controversial drug Seroxat.

Thirteen years on and that government watchdog, namely; The MHRA, are still sat thumb-twiddling and protecting drug companies.

A lot has happened since the inception of this old blog of mine. Stalkers, accusations, threats of lawsuits, a book, two human rights awards, radio shows, securing a settlement for a parent, talks, mainstream media attention, etc.

Who would have 'thunk' it?

I started this blog because I was concerned that the UK Medicines Regulator, the MHRA, was stonewalling questions posed to them regarding the notorious brain pellet, Seroxat. Thirteen years on and I tend not to bother with the MHRA anymore. I've met with them several times but no progress ever seems to come from such meetings. They are, as I suspected, limp-wristed beings from the planet Buffoonery.

It's fair to say I've taken my foot off the gas this year regarding this blog. There's only so much one person can endure when writing about children, husbands, wives, etc. whose demise started from taking brain pellets without full knowledge of the adverse risks vs. minimal, if any, benefit. I've shed many a tear for those who are no longer with us, and I carry their memory in my heart.

While blogs play an important role in advocacy, today's advocacy often happens in an instantaneous way via social media, especially on Twitter. You can follow my Twitter account here to see some of those interactions.

I find fellow advocates on Twitter, some of whom also started blogs long ago. One of whom, Truthman, deserves a hearty shout out for dedicated research and having the courage to tell it like it is.

We've stood together throughout the years, loudly banging the drum that sometimes it feels like we are joined at the hip. Brothers in arms, perhaps?

Truthman's work attracting and corresponding with drug company whistleblowers is greatly admired for I know how much time and effort is involved when whistleblowers reach out.

I salute you, Truthman!

There are others to thank, most of whom are dead, due to brain pellet induced suicides. It's those children, husbands, wives etc whom I am indebted to. I would never have met their surviving loved ones if it wasn't for their passing. There's far too many to mention, which, in itself, is a very sad state of affairs.

Who would have thought thirteen years ago this blog would still be going? Today almost 2.5 million views and still new people land on my blog, searching for info about drug withdrawal, birth defects, akathisia, drug-induced suicidality and suicide...I wish it weren't the case. I hope for the day when nobody has a need to search for such info.

I do feel the tide has turned during the past thirteen years. Many of the newer advocates offer new ways to reach out to the public. Many professionals have spoken out about the dangers of brain pellets. This was pretty much unheard of when I first started blogging. We had one or two forums, no Facebook, no Twitter and only a handful of professionals speaking out. Social media has, indeed, made a huge difference. I salute all who try to make a difference.

13 years, huh? Thanks for the readership. I'll be celebrating today with my partner, a cheeky smile, and maybe a glass of red wine as I (hopefully) watch my football team, Aston Villa, win again tonight.

Bob Fiddaman







No comments:


Please contact me if you would like a guest post considered for publication on my blog.